Skip to the content

Dealing with County Court Judgements (CCJs) or court decrees?

In Scotland, people can get court decrees made against them for unsecured debts. This is the Scottish legal equivalent of a County Court Judgement (CCJ).

Getting a court decree (County Court Judgement) can be very stressful. It brings it home to someone that their debts are mounting up and getting beyond their control.

Most of these types of case are dealt with in the Sheriff Court, although the bigger ones with larger debts are dealt with in the Court of Session.  In all cases, we can help you to take the initiative in getting the best outcome for you and your family.

What will happen if I get a County Court Judgement

Failing to pay this can make the debt official

What will happen if I get a CCJ or a court decree?

If a creditor has managed to secure a court order or court decree, it really means that they have convinced the court that you are not meeting your obligations in terms of paying them.

You now have to make any payments that are due, and this is backed up by the full authority of the court.

You will most likely find yourself in a position where you are faced by sheriff officers looking for full payment within 14 days (plus any fees and interest) as contained in a ‘charge for payment’, or else you will simply receive a charge for payment through the post looking for the same.

Failing to pay this can make the debt official and open up other legal action options for the creditor.

Beware of the 21 days time limit for your application,

What should I do if I can’t pay?

If you don’t have the money to pay the debt in full, you should ask to pay it in affordable instalments (a time to pay direction) that will leave you room for your living expenses.

We can guide you through this process and help you with the form that you need to submit.  There is a time limit of 21 days for submitting your application, and creditors are not obliged to accept.  If they do not accept your proposal, then the court may ask you to attend a hearing to agree the payment.

Alternatively, the court might just decide to accept or reject your offer as it stands.

We are debt advice specialists

How can we help you to deal with a CCJ?

If you have been issued with a charge for payment and are struggling to deal with it, then please seek our advice first.

Our trusted advisers will guide you through your options. You can email them 24 hours a day on

Don't panic

What if I am dealing with other unmanageable debts as well as county court judgements?

It is quite often the case that people struggling with county court judgements are also trying to deal with a range of other unsecured debts too.

This simply reflects general financial difficulties that anyone can find themselves in, given the right set of circumstances.  If this is you, don’t panic, there are ways of dealing with such situations.

Debt Arrangement Scheme

One way, if you live in Scotland, is a Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS).  Set up by the Scottish Government, the Debt Arrangement Scheme is a useful alternative to insolvency.

It is an effective way of preventing aggressive court actions being taken by creditors including HMRC,  banks, etc. and it allows you to manage your unsecured debts and work your way to a debt-free and much happier future.

Protected Trust Deed

Other options we can explore with you include a Protected Trust Deed if you are dealing with unsecured debts of £5,000 or more, and you live in Scotland.

A Protected Trust Deed will help you pay off your debts while making life much easier for you and those close to you.

Although it is a form of insolvency, it is really simply a formal agreement between you and your creditors.


If you are a resident in Scotland and have over £3,000 of unsecured debts that you cannot pay back, then bankruptcy may be an option for you.

It gives you a way out of what can be seemingly overwhelming debt. Filing for bankruptcy in the right circumstances, can be the correct thing to do.

It is best to take expert advice before considering bankruptcy.

Free & Confidential Consultation


If you are dealing with a range of unsecured debts and have been issued with a County Court Judgement (CCJ) or court decree, complete our short form and we will contact you straight back.

Start solving your debt problems today.

Available Mon - Fri, 9am - 5:30pm

Speak To Us Today

It is FREE to chat with one of our trusted Debt Advisers.